Hardship supplement for aged care

Aged care recipients can apply for this supplement if they are in financial hardship. If approved, the Australian Government will pay for some or all of their aged care fees and charges. This supplement is paid to the aged care provider on behalf of the recipient.

Applies to

Care recipients can apply for this supplement if they:

What is the supplement?

This supplement helps care recipients who:

  • are in financial hardship
  • cannot pay their aged care fees and charges because of circumstances beyond their control.

If approved, the Australian Government will pay for some or all of their aged care fees and charges.

Care recipients can apply for help with:

  • for Home Care Packages – the basic daily fee and the income-tested care fee
  • for residential respite care – the basic daily fee
  • for residential aged care – the basic daily fee, the means-tested care fee, daily accommodation payments and daily accommodation contributions.

Supplement rate

View the current supplement rate in the Schedule of Subsidies and Supplements.


To find out about the eligibility requirements, go to financial hardship assistance on the My Aged Care website.

If your care recipient is having financial difficulties, encourage them to apply for this supplement as soon as possible.

How to apply

To apply, your care recipient must complete the:

Services Australia assesses each application and considers things that are unique to each care recipient.


If approved, you will receive the hardship supplement on your care recipient’s behalf.

Automatic payment for some residential aged care recipients

Some classes of people who started receiving residential aged care before 30 June 2014 automatically receive this supplement. These are:

  • Class A – self-funded retirees who entered care before March 2008 and have income just above the age pension income test cut-off
  • Class B – residents who were receiving an income support payment that stopped because of the aged care changes on 1 October 1997
  • Class C – residents who were living in a hostel on 30 September 1997 and have not moved to an aged care home that was approved before 1 October 1997

If circumstances change

If care recipients change aged care providers, their hardship supplement should transfer with them. Contact Services Australia if the supplement is not transferred to you.


Services Australia aged care providers enquiry line

Call Services Australia for help with aged care claims and payments. This includes supplement claims, approved provider forms, online claiming registrations, transitional and respite care extensions, and the Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI).
Date last updated:

Help us improve health.gov.au

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.