Viability supplement expansion for aged care
This is an expansion of the viability supplement for residential aged care services. It is for aged care homes that specialise in caring for homeless people with complex behavioural needs, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with complex behavioural needs, or people with lower care needs.
This supplement expansion is for providers of residential aged care.
What is the expansion?
This expansion is for aged care homes that specialise in caring for:
- people with lower care needs
- homeless people (or those at severe risk of being homeless) with complex behavioural needs
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with complex behavioural needs
It provides extra points towards eligibility for the viability supplement. If you do not receive maximum points for the viability supplement, the expansion points will increase your viability supplement funding.
If you’re eligible for the expansion points, your viability supplement amount may be higher. View the current viability supplement rates in the Schedule of Subsidies and Supplements.
If your aged care home receives the maximum level viability supplement funding, you will not be eligible to receive any extra funding under the expansion.
To be eligible, more than 50% of the residents in your aged care home must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- have lower care needs
- be homeless with complex behavioural needs
- be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander with complex behavioural needs
Residents with lower care needs are those who have an Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) appraisal that does not include:
- high activities of daily living (ADL) domain category
- high complex health care (CHC) domain category
- high behaviour domain category
- a medium domain category in at least 2 domains
How to apply
If eligible under the ‘lower care needs’ criteria
If your aged care home is eligible under this criteria, you do not need to apply. We use the information you’ve provided to automatically confirm eligibility.
If eligible under the ‘complex behavioural needs’ criteria
If your aged care home is eligible under these criteria, email our subsidies and supplements team to apply and register for the expansion.
In your email, you need to demonstrate that your aged care home:
- has a track record of caring for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples or people who are homeless (or at severe risk of being homeless)
- targets and focuses on the needs of one or both of these groups
- can provide high-quality care that meets the needs of these groups
- can promote access to the broad range of services relevant to the needs of these groups
- can link with relevant local services and communities, including agencies that may refer clients
We will let you know if your application is successful. We may ask you to provide supporting evidence.
- complete the Viability Expansion Component and Homeless Supplement Assessment form (AC024) for each resident
- submit pages 3 to 4 of the form by email or post (details are in the form)
- keep a copy of the assessment (pages 1 to 2 of the form) with the resident’s care records