When this privacy notice applies
This privacy notice applies to the Hearing Services Program.
This notice explains how we (the Australian Government Department of Health) manage personal information to meet our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
Information we collect
We collect your:
- full name
- contact details
- date of birth
- concession type, number and status
- government payment type and status
- other demographic information.
Why we collect this information
We need this information to determine whether you are eligible to receive Hearing Services Program services and devices.
We may also use your information to administer the Hearing Services Program.
If you do not provide your personal information, we will not be able to provide you with hearing services under the program.
How we collect this information
We collect personal information directly from you.
We will also collect your personal information from contracted Hearing Services Program providers:
- if they apply on your behalf
- when they claim for services and devices they provide you.
We may also collect your personal information from your Disability Employment Services provider if they refer you to us, from Services Australia or from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs.
Who we disclose your personal information to
We will disclose your information to:
- Services Australia
- Australian Government Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Australian Government Department of Social Services
- Australian Government Department of Defence
- Australian Government Department of Employment
- National Disability Insurance Agency
- your selected hearing service providers
- your medical practitioner
- anyone you’ve agreed we can share with
- anyone the law requires or authorises us to share with.
We will not disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
How we store your information
We store your information in the Hearing Services Program online portal and our recordkeeping system.
How we handle sensitive information
By applying for the Hearing Services Program, you agree to us collecting your personal and health information. We will use it as stated in ‘Why we collect this information’.
How you can access or correct your information
Contact your Hearing Services Program provider to access your personal information or correct it.
Concerns and complaints
- the Australian Privacy Principles
- the Australian Government Agencies Privacy Code
The policy also explains how we will manage your complaint.