Billing under Medicare
To bill under Medicare, optometrists must:
- complete approved education
- be registered with the Optometry Board of Australia
- be recognised by Services Australia as an optometrist
- be in private practice and working in a private capacity
- have a Medicare provider number to bill for services listed on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
- Services Australia has Medicare information for optometrists, including eligibility requirements and guides on bulk billing. Its Health Professional Education Resources Gateway also has guides on MBS items for optometrists.
Prescribing under the PBS
To prescribe medicines listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), optometrists must have a PBS prescriber number.
PBS Online has information for PBS prescribers, including optometrists.
Providing services under the MBS
MBS Online lists Medicare services subsidised by the Australian Government and available to optometrists.