Billing under Medicare
To bill under Medicare, dentists and dental practitioners must:
- complete approved education – set out in the Health Insurance (Dental Services) Determination 2007
- meet the eligibility requirements for a dentist or dental practitioner
- be registered with the Dental Board of Australia (DBA)
- be recognised as a dental practitioner by Services Australia
- be in a private practice and working in a private capacity
- have a Medicare provider number to bill for services listed on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS)
- have a PBS prescriber number to prescribe medicines listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
Eligible dentists and dental practitioners can:
- provide services for certain items under the MBS
- write prescriptions for certain medicines under the PBS.
Dental prosthetists can’t use their provider number for billing.
Prescribing under the PBS
PBS Online has information for PBS prescribers, including dentists and dental practitioners.
Providing services under the MBS
MBS Online lists Medicare services subsidised by the Australian Government and available to dentists and dental practitioners.