Billing under Medicare
To bill under Medicare, nurse practitioners must:
- complete approved education
- be recognised as a nurse practitioner by Services Australia
- be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- have a Medicare provider number to bill for services listed on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
- enter into a collaborative arrangement with a medical practitioner.
Services Australia has Medicare information for nurse practitioners, including eligibility requirements and guides on bulk billing. Its Health Professional Education Resources Gateway also has guides on MBS items for nurse practitioners.
Prescribing under the PBS
To prescribe Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medications nurses and nurse practitioners must apply for approval as PBS prescribers.
Learn more about becoming an authorised PBS prescriber.
Providing services under the MBS
MBS Online lists Medicare services subsidised by the Australian Government and available to nurse practitioners.