Billing under Medicare
To bill under Medicare, participating midwives must:
- complete approved education
- meet the recognition requirements for a nurse or midwife
- be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- have a Medicare provider number to bill for services listed on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
- enter into a collaborative arrangement with a medical practitioner.
Services Australia has Medicare information for participating midwives including eligibility requirements and guides on bulk billing. Its Health Professional Education Resources Gateway also has guides on MBS items for participating midwives.
Prescribing under the PBS
PBS Online has information for PBS prescribers, including participating midwives.
Providing services under the MBS
MBS Online lists Medicare services subsidised by the Australian Government and available to participating midwives.