Plans and strategies
Our 10-year National Drug Strategy guides all our work to prevent and reduce drug-related harm in Australia. There are several sub-strategies that focus on specific issues related to drugs.
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Drug Strategy 2014–2019
- National Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development Strategy 2015–2018
- National Ice Action Strategy 2015
We provide funding to research centres to make sure we have the data we need to make better decisions.
- National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA)
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC)
- National Drug Research Institute (NDRI)
- Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research (CYSAR)
- National Clinical Centre for Research of Emerging Drugs (NCCRED)
We also fund the Australian School Students Alcohol and Drug (ASSAD) survey. This survey is run every 3 years by Cancer Council Victoria’s Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer. Read the most recent survey report from 2017.
Initiatives and programs
Our initiatives and programs target different needs in the community.
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Hotline
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Knowledge Centre initiative
- ASSIST (Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test) initiative
- Local Drug Action Team Program initiative
- Positive Choices initiative
- Drug help campaign
Australia also cooperates with international organisations to combat drug abuse and trafficking.