Responsibilities of Multi-Purpose Service (MPS) Program providers

If you operate an MPS, you must take on certain responsibilities, like complying with aged care laws, meeting quality standards and being accountable.

Provider responsibilities

To operate an MPS you must be an approved provider.

You must understand and carry out the responsibilities set out in law for aged care service providers.

Added to your general responsibilities as an aged care provider, you will have responsibilities that apply as an MPS provider.

Services you can provide

MPS providers deliver health and aged care services for people in regional and remote areas.

All MPS must deliver residential care and at least one other service.

Service principles

As an MPS provider you must deliver your services in line with these service principles:

  • All users or potential users of an MPS will have equitable access to services.
  • Service providers must be consistent with the rights and responsibilities of care recipients specified in the Charter of Aged Care Rights.
  • Services will be provided in a way that is culturally appropriate and recognises the rights, dignity and independence of service users.
  • Regular consultation with the local community on health and aged care needs must be done.
  • Care recipients or potential care recipients of an MPS will be given information on the operation of the MPS and on the care services available from MPS.
  • MPS will show commitment to ongoing quality improvement through participation in an externally recognised accreditation process.

Quality of care

MPS deliver residential care, so you must meet the Aged Care Quality Standards.

If you deliver acute care, you must be accredited to the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) standards.

The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care have developed an Aged Care Module that will help you meet the Aged Care Quality requirements that are not covered in the NSQHS standards.

Medication management

Electronic National Residential Medication Charts (eNRMC) facilitate safe and accountable medication management in services providing residential aged care.

The ACQSC has resources to help you choose and use an appropriate system for your service.

Publish details about your services

You must provide details about your services on My Aged Care so they appear in search results. This includes fees and room descriptions.

You do this by entering your service’s details in the My Aged Care service and support portal.

See our quick reference guide for help in completing this. Make sure you keep this information up to date.

Agreements and plans

All MPS providers must have:


MPS providers receive funding from:

  • the Australian Government for aged care service delivery
  • state and territory governments for health services, capital and infrastructure.

Learn how funding for MPS can be used.

Fees and charges

Most approved MPS providers are a state, territory or local government authority. They set the fees for each MPS.

Find out what fees and charges apply to MPS.

Handling complaints

MPS providers must have a complaints handling process and assist clients who wish to make a complaint.

Complaints should be made directly to the MPS in the first instance. The MPS will investigate in line with its complaints handling policy.

However, a person can also contact the state or territory government health complaints agency or the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

State and territory health complaints agencies:

Complaints about MPS aged care can also be made to the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.  Read the commission's complaints service fact sheet.


MPS providers must submit:

  • an annual activity report
  • an annual statement of financial compliance, income and expenditure for aged care funding provided by the Australian Government

State and territory governments have their own reporting requirements for health services funding they provide.

You must also comply with compulsory aged care reporting requirements.

Date last updated:

Help us improve

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.