About My Aged Care
My Aged Care provides an entry point to the aged care system for the general public. Find out why My Aged Care is important, who it's for, how it works and who manages it.
What is My Aged Care?
My Aged Care provides an entry point to Australian Government–funded aged care services for the general public. Older Australians, their families and carers can access My Aged Care information through the website or contact centre.
Health professionals can also refer patients to My Aged Care.
Aged care assessors and approved service providers have portals to manage their service information, assessments and referrals.
Why is it important?
The number of older Australians — those aged 65 or over, or aged 50 or over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples — is growing. We expect it to more than double in the next 35 to 40 years.
This means that more people will need aged care services — My Aged Care provides access and information about Australian Government-funded aged care services.
What does My Aged Care provide?
My Aged Care provides information about and access to Australian Government–funded aged care services. It includes information to help your clients and patients:
- learn about the types of aged care services available
- find out whether they are eligible for an assessment
- find a provider of aged care services
- estimate costs for aged care services — for Home Care Packages or residential aged care
- see what services they are receiving
- check that aged care service providers comply with quality requirements
Assessor and service provider portals
The My Aged Care portals provide online access for approved assessors and service providers to manage and update information:
- assessor portal — for aged care assessors to manage client assessments
- service provider portal — for aged care service providers to manage client and service information
Who manages My Aged Care?
The Department of Health manages the ongoing development of the My Aged Care website, including:
- design improvements
- new or updated features or functions
We also manage the contact centre, including:
- staff training
- call centre infrastructure
Research and evaluation
We use independent researchers to regularly evaluate and review My Aged Care to make sure it’s effective. Read the key findings of their evaluations:
We regularly review and evaluate My Aged Care to make sure it’s being effective. Independent researchers consult a wide range of stakeholders to cover all aspects of My Aged Care. These reports outline the results of the research that has been done so far.