High performance athletes deliver outcomes well beyond competition arenas. They inspire the community to enjoy the physical and mental health benefits of sport which:
- promotes social connectivity and community cohesion
- boosts national productivity and the economy.
Funding elite sport
The Australian Government, through the Australian Sports Commission including the Australian Institute of Sport, provides high performance funding to National Sporting Organisations and National Sporting Organisations for People with Disability.
Australia’s High Performance 2032+ Sport Strategy
Australia’s High Performance 2032+ Sport Strategy focuses on optimising outcomes and sustainable success for Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Games sports. The Strategy has been co-designed by the Australian High Performance Sport System to unite, inspire and build Australia through high performance sport. Performance-driven, yet people-focused, the strategy is a balanced, holistic approach to support our athletes to win in all areas of life.
Protecting the integrity of elite sport
Elite sport is an important part of Australian life. Doping scandals and match-fixing reduce our confidence that sport is clean and fair. We are actively working to protect sport in Australia from such threats.
- Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA)
- National Integrity of Sport Unit (NISU)
- national integrity functions of the Australian Sports Commission.
SIA’s role is to prevent:
- the use of banned substances and methods
- abuse, bullying, discrimination and harassment, especially of children
- match-fixing and illegal betting.
The National Sports Tribunal provides independent, cost-effective dispute resolution services to sporting bodies, athletes and support personnel.