Allocated places and capital grants for residential aged care

If you plan to provide residential aged care, you need to apply for allocated places to get government subsidies and supplements. You can also apply for capital grants for building and maintaining aged care homes.

What are allocated places?

You must have an approved allocation of places to get government funding through the residential aged care subsidy and supplements.

How to get allocated places

To get allocated places, you must either:

How places are allocated

The Department of Health is responsible for allocating aged care places.

We allocate places annually through the ACAR, which takes into account the:

  • number of available places
  • identified needs of a particular planning region
  • the applications’ merits

You can apply for an allocation of places before you’re ready to provide care. All allocations are provisional until you’re able to accept residents.

Forms and guides for allocated places

Capital funding

Residential aged care providers can also apply for capital grants for building or upgrading residential aged care homes.

You can apply for capital funding grants through the ACAR.

Last updated:

Help us improve

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.