Voluntary acknowledgement - let us know if you've claimed incorrectly

If you think you've incorrectly claimed a payment from Medicare, PBS, CDBS or Practice Incentive payment, you need to let us know. You can do this by submitting a voluntary acknowledgement of incorrect payments form.

It's important that you submit the acknowledgement as soon as you are aware of an incorrect claim. A penalty may apply to any amount owing (the debt accrued). However, no penalty will apply to voluntary acknowledgements. 

Submitting a voluntary acknowledgement

•    Voluntary Acknowledgement of incorrect payments form
•    PBS Voluntary Acknowledgement of incorrect payments form

Include any information with the acknowledgement that you think will help us identify the claim or incorrect payment. We will contact you to confirm what you need to repay.

When we contact you, we will notify you of the amount owing and provide you with options for payment.

Post or email the completed form to the Voluntary Compliance Team. 

Voluntary Compliance Team

If you have any questions about the voluntary acknowledgement process, contact the Voluntary Compliance Team.

Voluntary.Compliance.Team [at] health.gov.au
Postal addresses: 
Voluntary Compliance Team
GPO Box 9848
Canberra ACT 2601

View contact

Compensation scheme and private health insurer payments

Incorrect private health insurer payments

Where you become aware of incorrect payments received from a private health insurer in relation to a patient who received cover or medical treatment under a compensation scheme after the consultation occurred, contact either: 

Other incorrect payments

You can call the Medicare Provider Enquiry Line for advice if you think you have received an incorrect payment for a patient who was also covered for that treatment under:

  • the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
  • the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • the Child Dental Benefit Schedule (CDBS)
  • other incentive payment programs.

Alternatively, submit a Voluntary Acknowledgement of incorrect payments form if you think you have submitted a claim incorrectly.

If you have questions about submitting a claim, call the Medicare Provider Enquiry Line.

Last updated: 
9 June 2021

Help us improve health.gov.au

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.