Support and education for nurses and midwives

Find out how to become a nurse or midwife, what scholarships are available, how to work in Australia if you qualified overseas, and what support is available for nurses and midwives in Australia.

COVID-19 information and training

We provide advice on COVID-19 for the health and disability sector, including links to relevant workplace information, resources and training.

A free, mandatory COVID-19 vaccination training program is available for nurses and midwives administering COVID-19 vaccines. 

The NMBA provides COVID-19 guidance for nurses and midwives and guidance on the role of nurses and midwives in a national emergency.

Approved programs of study

You must complete a relevant program of study approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) to become a:


The Australian College of Nursing administers a range of scholarships for us, including:

  • undergraduate and postgraduate aged care
  • nursing and midwifery courses
  • the Puggy Hunter Memorial Scholarship for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students studying entry-level health courses (including nursing and midwifery).

The Australian College of Midwives provides a list of available midwifery scholarships.


Once you have completed the approved program of study, you must register as a nurse or midwife before you can get a job.

Working in Australia for international nurses and midwives

If you have qualified overseas and are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you need to:

  • apply for registration with the NMBA
  • become successfully registered with the NMBA
  • apply for a visa issued by the Australian Department of Home Affairs; this may involve a skills assessment from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC).

The NMBA assesses internationally qualified nurses and midwives against criteria that align with the requirements for Australian-qualified applicants.

For more, see:

New Zealand

Nurses and midwives who are registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand or the Midwifery Council of New Zealand can apply for registration under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement, using the NMBA’s form ATMR-40.

Support for Indigenous health work


We fund the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives (CATSINaM) who represent First Nations nurses and midwives in Australia. CATSINaM promotes the recruitment and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in nursing and midwifery.

CATSINaM also offers cultural safety training for non-Indigenous nurses and midwives. A culturally safe health care environment is one where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people feel safe and connected to culture, and where their cultural identity is respected. For providers, it involves behaviour, attitudes and work culture that respect and understand Indigenous culture and people.

Remote Area Health Corps 

We fund the Remote Area Health Corps to match health professionals, including registered nurses, with short-term paid placements of 3 to 12 weeks in remote Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory.

Australian Nurse–Family Partnership Program

The Australian Nurse–Family Partnership Program supports women who are pregnant with an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander baby. Nurses make home visits to provide guidance during early pregnancy, the baby's infancy and into toddlerhood.

Support for nurses and midwives

Nurses and midwives are on the frontline of health care, which can take a toll. Support is available.

Support hotline

Nurse & Midwife Support is a 24/7 national support hotline for nurses and midwives, nursing and midwifery students, employers, educators and concerned family and friends. It provides access to confidential advice and referral. Call 1800 667 877.


Through the Rural Locum Assistance Program, we support registered nurses, enrolled nurses and midwives who either:

  • work in a rural and remote area and need a locum so they can take leave
  • would like to work as a locum and experience rural or remote practice.
Date last updated:

Help us improve

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.