We fund dementia programs to support people living with dementia, their families and carers.
- National Dementia Support Program (NDSP)
- Dementia-Friendly Communities
- Dementia Carer Respite and Wellbeing Program
- Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service (DBMAS)
- Severe Behaviour Response Teams (SBRT)
- Specialist Dementia Care Program (SDCP)
- Dementia Training Program (DTP).
For more information, see the list of initiatives and programs relating to dementia.
We fund dementia research to make sure we have the evidence we need to make better decisions.
- Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care Mission
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Aged Care Research and Industry Innovation Australia.
Aged care measures
Our initiatives and programs support people living with dementia and their carers at every stage – from diagnosis through to residential aged care. These measures aim to:
- improve dementia diagnosis and early intervention
- increase respite and support for informal carers
- improve the capacity and quality of dementia care.
This will ensure that people living with dementia are:
- connected with the support they need after their diagnosis
- enabled to remain in their home for longer
- able to access high quality, dementia informed aged care services.
For more information, see our dementia initiatives and programs.
To help shape aged care reforms and stay informed, register for engagement activities on the Ageing and Aged Care Engagement Hub.
Dementia Expert Reference Group
The Dementia Expert Reference Group provides us with expert insight and feedback to support monitoring and continuous improvements of dementia policy, programs and activities.
National Dementia Action Plan
We are developing a new National Dementia Action Plan in collaboration with state and territory governments. It will provide short, medium and long-term actions over the next 10 years to improve the wellbeing and quality of life for people living with dementia, their carers and families.
Public consultation on the draft plan is now open until 31 January 2023: