Residential aged care and the NDIS

Younger people may be living in a residential aged care home if other support options are not appropriate or available for their care needs.

To be eligible to receive aged care services, younger people under the age of 65 must first explore what other support options are available to them.

Australia’s aged care system should be a last resort for people under the age of 65. Younger people should only access the aged care system when there are no other care facilities or care services to meet their needs.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can access the aged care system from 50 years of age.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) supports younger Australians under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability.

Younger people under the age of 65, who have a disability and live in residential aged care, may be able to access the NDIS.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged between 50 and 64 years may be eligible for both aged care services and the NDIS.

Younger people who live in residential aged care may wish to explore other age-appropriate accommodation and support options.

Applying for access to the NDIS

The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) will contact younger people living in aged care, or their nominee, to help them progress an application to test access for NDIS eligibility. To find out how to apply to the NDIS, a younger person or their nominee can contact the NDIS.  

Younger people, their family or carer can help progress their NDIS application by providing:

  • evidence of the person’s disability
  • copies of key documents:
  • accommodation agreement
  • residential care agreement
  • letters on aged care fees from Services Australia (previously the Department of Human Services)
  • statement from the residential aged care home detailing the person’s means-tested care fee and accommodation payments (if available).

Younger people who are eligible for the NDIS

If a younger person is eligible for the NDIS, the NDIA will set up a planning meeting with a Younger Person in Residential Aged Care (YPIRAC) Planner. In this meeting, they can discuss their goals and explore options to live independently in the community.

If a younger person wishes to remain with their current residential aged care provider, they will continue to:

  • receive their care and services through the aged care provider
  • pay their existing aged care fees and payments.

The NDIS will determine what supports should be funded by the NDIS and include these supports in their plan if they are an NDIS participant. For more information, see the NDIS Younger People in Residential Aged Care Operational Guideline.

Younger people not eligible for the NDIS

If a younger person is not a NDIS participant and wishes to move from a residential aged care home, they can get help from a YPIRAC System Coordinator.

A YPIRAC System Coordinator can help them to:

  • navigate the disability, housing, health and aged care systems
  • find alternative accommodation and services that best meets their needs
  • move from residential aged care if this is their choice.

Younger people, or their family, can contact Ability First Australia to find out:

  • how to use this support
  • when System Coordinators will be operating in their area.

Residential aged care fees and payments

Younger people who remain in aged care may be required to contribute to:

  • accommodation costs
  • living expenses
  • care services that are not funded under the NDIS.

Find out more about the residential aged care fees and payments.

Last updated:

Help us improve

If you would like a response please use the enquiries form instead.