About the initiative
We are developing a National Nursing Workforce Strategy to create a national strategic approach to nursing policy. We will work in partnership with Victoria and in collaboration with all states and territories and the nursing profession to develop the Strategy.
Why it is important
Nurses are the largest health profession in Australia, comprising over 40% of the health workforce. They provide high-quality care and perform key functions across all health and aged care service settings in metropolitan, regional, rural and remote areas.
All jurisdictions invest substantially in nursing. Despite this, there has never been a national strategic approach to nursing policy.
The strategy will provide for nurses to work to their full scope of practice to address Australia's health and aged care needs. The strategy is expected to look at:
- workforce sustainability
- diversity of the profession
- workforce planning
- data sharing
- the challenges of regional, rural and remote nursing
- the pathway from novice to expert.
The strategy will identify and address national priorities that aim to:
- maintain and deliver quality, evidence-based, patient-centred care
- build and sustain an experienced workforce
- encourage the uptake of positions in regional, rural and remote areas
- support the mental health and wellbeing of the workforce.
Who we work with
We work with regulatory and peak bodies and professional associations to support the nursing workforce. This includes:
- peak bodies
- health professionals
- the community
- educational and regulatory nursing organisations
- members of parliament
- government departments
- state and territory Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officers and health departments
- Strategy Steering Committee
- Strategy Advisory Group.
Have your say
We regularly consult the Australian public about issues that affect health. Search our consultations hub for open consultations related to nursing. Public consultation on the Strategy has not yet commenced. To receive updates, please subscribe to our nursing and midwifery newsletter.
We are in the early stages of developing the Strategy and will provide updates here and through the nursing and midwifery newsletter on progress and opportunities for consultation.