About the JDTP
The Junior Doctor Training Program (JDTP) consolidates the following programs:
- Rural Junior Doctor Training Innovation Fund (RJDTIF)
- Junior Medical Officer (JMO) Program
- Commonwealth Medical Internships (CMI) initiative.
The JDTP has 2 streams:
- Rural Primary Care Stream – provides funding for salary and educational support for junior doctors working and training in rural primary care settings
- Private Hospital Stream – provides salary support for junior doctors working in private hospitals.
The Australian Government invested an additional $63.6 million over 4 years from 2018 to 2022, bringing the total investment to over $174 million from 2019.
The JDTP’s goals are to:
- ensure there is a continued supply of doctors to deliver health services across Australia
- deliver education, training and supervision for junior doctors in rural primary health care settings.
- increase access to high-quality training for junior doctors in rural areas and the private sector.