What we offer our graduates
As a Health graduate, you will have challenging work that contributes to the health and wellbeing of all Australians. You will gain critical public service skills and experience life in Canberra. Completing the program successfully guarantees you a permanent position to continue your career.
A chance to make a difference
One of the best reasons to work for the department is that our programs have a direct everyday impact on the community.
As a graduate with Health, you will help lead and shape Australia’s health and ageing systems and sporting outcomes. You will develop and implement evidence-based policies and programs across a wide range of issues.
Your work will affect the lives of real Australians.
About our Graduate Program
- a 10 month program
- 3 rotations
- Canberra based, plus opportunities to complete rotations in state and territory offices
- comprehensive learning and development curriculum
- relocation assistance for successful candidates who live outside of Canberra
- opportunities to connect with Senior Executive Service officers
- mentoring program
- advancement to APS 4 classification on successful completion of program
As a graduate, you will be a full-time ongoing APS employee under the Public Service Act 1999.
- You will start with an annual salary of $61,364, plus 15.4% employer contribution to superannuation.
- Upon completion of our Graduate Program you will advance to a minimum of an APS 4. This is an annual salary of $70,914, plus 15.4% employer contribution to superannuation.
Full details of graduate salaries, employment terms and conditions are outlined in our current Enterprise Agreement.
Learning and development
We provide a learning and development program that teaches you how government works and helps you develop skills for a successful career in the APS. This includes:
- Mandatory training: These courses cover topics such as understanding government, and workplace health and safety.
- Elective events: The Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) run a number of events for graduates, including a welcome to the APS, GradHack and advice from senior executive service leaders (SES).
- On-the-job training: Extensive on-the-job training will help you to realise and meet your full potential.
- Buddy and mentoring opportunities: Learn from colleagues and our more senior officers.
Benefits for all Health staff
There are many benefits to working at Health, including:
- 20 days annual leave per year
- personal leave
- public holidays
- paid Christmas shut-down
- 3 months long service leave after 10 years of recognised service
Flexible Work Options
Our full-time staff are required to work 7.5 hours per day (37.5 hours per week). Flexible work hours are offered as an alternative to the traditional 9-5 work day. Access to flexible working arrangements can be negotiated with your supervisor.
Read more about the benefits of working at Health
Help with relocation costs
If you relocate from interstate to take part in the program, we will help with some fares and removal expenses.
- arrange for the removal and storage of furniture and personal belongings
- help with some short-term accommodation expenses when you arrive, to give you time to find a place to live
- help with some of your family’s relocation expenses if they are relocating as well
You will find out more when the selection process has been finalised.
An inclusive workplace
We make our workplace as inclusive as possible and value the diversity of our staff in terms of their gender, sexual orientation, cultural background, disability and age.
Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
On a more social level, you will have access to the Canberra Social Network of Graduates (SnoG).
You will be 'in good company' — hundreds of graduates start work with various government departments in Canberra each year. This network is a useful source of both work and social contacts.
Living in Canberra
Canberra is a modern and vibrant city with a population of more than 350,000 people. Everything is close, making travel to and from work quick and easy.
Find out more about living and working in Canberra.
Opportunities after the program
If you complete the program successfully you are guaranteed a permanent APS4 position at Health.
Keep in mind that if you want to return to your home state at the end of the program, there are very limited opportunities in our state and territory offices.