When this privacy notice applies
This privacy notice applies to the aged care sector newsletters and alerts subscription.
This notice explains how we (the Australian Government Department of Health) manage personal or professional information consistent with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
Information we collect
We collect information about you, including your:
- email address
- organisation (optional)
- state or territory
Why we collect this information
We need this information to send you relevant information about our aged care programs, according to your preferences.
We may also use your information to:
- measure email performance
- improve the features for specific segments of customers
- evaluate your use of our website
- compile reports on website activity for website operators
- provide other services relating to website activity and internet usage
If you do not provide your personal information, we cannot send you our announcements and newsletters.
How we collect this information
We collect personal information directly from you when you complete the online sign-up form.
Who we disclose your personal information to
We may disclose your information to:
- Mailchimp, which is an overseas recipient
- anyone you’ve agreed we can share with
- anyone the law requires or authorises us to share with
How we store your information
We use Mailchimp to manage these subscriptions. Mailchimp is based in the United States, so your information will be transmitted to and stored on servers located outside Australia.
Mailchimp receives information that cookies generate about your use of the website (including your IP address). Mailchimp stores your information on servers located outside Australia. We must let you know that by subscribing to any of our mailing lists that use Mailchimp:
- you understand and acknowledge that the service uses a Mailchimp platform. Mailchimp is located in the USA and relevant USA legislation will apply. As such, Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 contained in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Act will not apply
- you understand and acknowledge that you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act 1988. Instead, you will need to seek redress under the laws of the USA
Principle 8.1 requires us to take reasonable steps to ensure that Mailchimp does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to your information. This does not apply if you sign up to a Health subscription service that uses Mailchimp.
You can remove yourself from our mailing list by following the ‘unsubscribe’ links provided by Mailchimp in every email.
TRUSTe privacy seal
- choice related to the collection and use of your personal information
TRUSTe is an independent third party that operates a globally recognised privacy trustmark.
How you can access or correct your information
Concerns and complaints
- the Australian Privacy Principles, or
- the Australian Government Agencies Privacy Code
More on privacy