Plans and strategies
Our plans and strategies guide our work to reduce alcohol-related harm. We work with experts and organisations in Australia and overseas to make sure we get our priorities right.
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Strategic Action Plan 2018–2028
We provide funding to research centres to make sure we have the data we need to make better decisions.
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC)
- National Drug Research Institute (NDRI)
- National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA)
Our initiatives target different needs in the community.
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Hotline initiative
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Knowledge Centre initiative
- ASSIST (Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test) initiative
- Australian guidelines to reduce health risks from drinking alcohol
- FASD Hub initiative
- Good Sports Program initiative
- Hello Sunday Morning initiative
- Little Habit campaign
- Local Drug Action Team Program initiative
- Positive Choices initiative
- Pregnant Pause initiative
- Every Moment Matters campaign
Committees and groups
We chair committees and groups that focus on reducing alcohol-related harm.
- Ministerial Drug and Alcohol Forum (MDAF)
This forum leads work on the drug and alcohol policy framework in Australia.
- Australian National Advisory Council on Alcohol and Other Drugs (ANACAD)
This council advises the Australian Government on issues related to alcohol and other drugs.
We encourage responsible alcohol advertising and sponsorship by alcohol companies. To do this, we work with industry, public health organisations, peak bodies and other stakeholders.
Visit the Alcohol Beverages Advertising Code (ABAC) website to find out more about responsible advertising.
The Guidelines for the treatment of alcohol problems (Alcohol Treatment Guidelines) provide up-to-date, evidence-based information for health professional on available treatments for people with alcohol problems.