Aim of the review
It is essential that the aged care sector has a fit for purpose regulator that can uphold the rights and standards of best-practice care for older Australians.
The review will look at whether the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission has the appropriate resources, workforce and skills to:
- meet its legal and regulatory responsibilities
- accredit aged care providers
- deliver education activities to ensure the protection, safety and welfare of older people using aged care services
- investigate complaints to ensure providers comply with the Aged Care Quality Standards and take strong enforcement action if required
- work closely with aged care providers
- promote an aged care experience that our community expects, and older Australians deserve.
The commission will continue to perform its regulatory functions as normal while the review is underway.
Terms of reference
The main principles and governance arrangements for the review are set out in the terms of reference.
We consulted national peak bodies and other stakeholders across the aged care sector to develop the terms of reference.
Timing of the review
The review will take 6 months to complete, commencing in October 2022.
Mr David Tune AO PSM has been appointed to undertake the review. He is a former public servant and is the Chair of the Independent Health and Aged Care Pricing Authority.
Mr Tune has led reviews across both state and federal governments, including:
- Co-chairing the independent review of Parliamentary Entitlements for the Commonwealth Government (2015)
- Legislative Review of Aged Care (2016)
- Independent review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (2019)
- Independent review into the Total and Permanently Incapacitated Payment (2019)
- Function and Efficiency Review of the National Archives of Australia (2020)
- Independent review of the Regional Investment Corporation (2021).
A dedicated support team will assist Mr Tune.
A public submission process is now open. Information on the target questions and process to provide a submission is available on Consultation Hub. Submissions close 2 December 2022.
28 July 2022 – Minister Wells’ media release – Capability Review of the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission