Working in partnership
Each Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community is unique, with locally relevant strengths, experiences and cultural knowledge. This means that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are best placed to determine the solutions that are best for their community.
We work closely with communities to develop programs and policies that meet their individual needs.
Our partnership mechanisms include:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Group on COVID-19
- Implementation Plan Advisory Group (IPAG)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Services Data Advisory Group
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Partnership Forums.
We work with the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) and provide funding to support them and their members.
We also engage with a range of mainstream health committees and groups about the work that we do. Mainstream health services have an important role to play to ensure that all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have access to culturally safe services.
We also partner with other governments and organisations on projects that improve Indigenous health. See how we support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
We work closely with our portfolio agencies:
- Cancer Australia continues to work with Indigenous communities to reduce the impact of cancer. The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cancer Framework identifies the national priorities to improve cancer outcomes.
- The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care is responsible for the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards. It has also developed a User Guide for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health for health services implementing the NSQHS Standards.
- The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare publishes reports and data relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We consulted extensively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities when revising the Health Plan.
We regularly consult the Australian public about issues that affect health. Check our consultations hub for details of consultations related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.