Available sign language and captioning interpreting services
The Department of Health and Aged Care funds Deaf Connect to provide free sign language interpreting and captioning services to aged care service providers across Australia.
- face-to-face and video remote sign language interpreting
- sign language services include Auslan, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages, American Sign Language, International Sign Language, and Signed English
- tactile signing and hand-over-hand signing for deafblind people.
- live captioning either onsite or remotely
- 7 days a week including emergencies and after business hours (if required)
You can use these services to help your Deaf, Deafblind or hard of hearing clients engage with and take part in their aged care services. If you use these services for other reasons, you must pay for them through your funding or the client’s budget.
For services in other languages, see translating and interpreting services for aged care service providers.
Who is eligible
Your organisation is eligible if it provides the following aged care services:
- Aged Care System Navigators
- My Aged Care
- Regional Assessment Services
- Aged Care Assessment Teams
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme
- Home Care Packages
- Residential aged care
- Other aged care services subsidised by the Australian Government
Accessing sign language interpreting and captioning services
Clients making their own booking for free sign language interpreting services can also do so by contacting Deaf Connect below. Clients will not require a booking code.
Clients using aged care services can also ask their service provider or assessment organisation to book an interpreter or stenographer on their behalf.
For service providers
When your organisation contacts Deaf Connect for the first time to make an appointment, they will register your organisation on the booking platform.
Once registered you will receive a booking code, which you must use each time you book an interpreting or captioning service.
To book sign language interpreting services you can:
Book as soon as possible to make sure an interpreter or stenographer is available.