About the plan
Nurse practitioners (NPs) have a significant role in the delivery of health and aged care to people in Australia.
The Nurse Practitioner Workforce Plan supports the growth of a capable and resilient NP workforce that delivers person-centred, evidence-based, safe and compassionate care.
Nurse Practitioner Workforce Plan
The plan provides a vision to:
- better utilise NPs to deliver person-centred care
- improve the accessibility and delivery of NP care
- support a well-distributed and culturally safe NP workforce.
The plan includes goals across 3 timeframes:
- one-3 years – remove barriers affecting the NP workforce.
- 3-5 years – grow, expand and build the NP workforce.
- 5-10 years – increase access to NP care.
We will measure the success of the plan against four key outcomes. These are:
- increasing NP services across the country
- improving community awareness and knowledge of NP services
- supporting NPs to work to their full scope of practice
- growing the NP workforce to reflect the diversity of the community and improve cultural safety.
Committees and groups
The Nurse Practitioner Steering Committee has provided ongoing advice and expertise to inform the plan’s development.