The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) Monitoring, evaluation and learning strategy provides an overarching framework for assessing the performance of the MRFF.
Monitoring, evaluation and learning
The MRFF Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Strategy 2020-2021 to 2023-2024 (Evaluation Strategy) sets out the principles and approach used to monitor and evaluate the MRFF. It outlines the need for evaluations to be independent and impartial.
The Evaluation Strategy aims to be transparent in process and outcomes. It aims to be agile to the needs of the MRFF, its consumers and stakeholders (such as the health and medical research industry).
It also aims to establish a learning system to provide information to support continued improvements within the MRFF, such as future design and implementation of MRFF grant opportunities.
We developed the Evaluation Strategy in consultation with our stakeholders. To design the Evaluation Strategy, we used key MRFF legislative and policy documents, including the:
- MRFF 1st 10-year Investment Plan
- Australian Medical Research and Innovation Strategy 2021-2026
- National Health and Medical Industry Growth Plan
We will review the Evaluation Strategy every year to help us develop the MRFF evaluation and monitoring activities.
Read reports related to MRFF monitoring and evaluation activities:
- Evaluation of the Rapid Applied Research Translation
- Medical Research Commercialisation Landscape Report
- Million Minds Mental Health Research Mission Review.
The Australian Government announced its plans for a MRFF in 2014. The government intends the fund to provide a stable, ongoing source of research funding. Over time, this research will deliver improvements to the health system and improve patient outcomes.
The Australian Medical Research Advisory Board recommended MRFF evaluation should consider whether projects:
- lead to better patient outcomes
- produce beneficial changes to health practices
- increase efficiency in the health system
- lead to commercialised health service outcomes
- increase community support for the outcomes from MRFF funding.