Hotspot for the purposes of Commonwealth support extended for NSW and Jervis Bay
The Australian Government Chief Medical Officer, Professor Paul Kelly, has today extended the Hotspot for the purpose of Commonwealth support for NSW and the Jervis Bay Territory.
Today, Professor Kelly has extended the Hotspot for the purpose of Commonwealth support for all LGAs in New South Wales and the Jervis Bay Territory, until 11:59 pm on 18 October 2021.
The continued occurrence of cases in the community, including regional NSW, and movement of active cases poses an exposure risk across the state.
Professor Kelly reminds people in NSW to continue to follow their local Health Department directions and to book their vaccinations.
Given over 70% of those aged 16+ years old in NSW have received two doses of a
COVID-19 vaccination, recipients of the COVID-19 Disaster Payment are required to reapply for payments weekly.
About hotspots for Commonwealth support
Declaring a hotspot for Commonwealth support enables the Commonwealth to:
- provide personal protective equipment (PPE) from the National Medical Stockpile
- support aged care facilities, including by providing PPE and the single site workforce supplement, and integrating an aged care response centre into the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre
- provide help with contact tracing
- offer testing to those with no symptoms via GP-led respiratory clinics
- reprioritise vaccine supplies, if required
- offer the COVID-19 Disaster Payment* to eligible workers
- offer access to two telehealth consultation items through the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- provide support for childcare services, including additional allowable absences, gap fee waivers and support payments, if other eligibility criteria are met.
*The COVID-19 Disaster Payment will continue to be available in Commonwealth Declared Hotspots. When the state reaches 70% full vaccination of the adult population (16+), recipients will need to reapply weekly. When an 80% vaccination rate is reached, the temporary payment will step down over a period of two weeks. For more information please visit: https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/covid-19-disaster-payment.
Learn more about COVID-19 hotspots for Commonwealth support.