Today, Professor Kelly has declared a Hotspot for the purpose of Commonwealth support for the Victorian local government area (LGA) of Latrobe City, until 11:59 pm on 5 October 2021. The occurrence of cases in the community, and movement of active cases from Greater Melbourne, poses an exposure risk to the people within this community.
Professor Kelly asks people in this area to continue to follow their local Health Department directions and to book their vaccinations.
About hotspots for Commonwealth support
Declaring a hotspot for Commonwealth support enables the Commonwealth to:
- provide personal protective equipment (PPE) from the National Medical Stockpile
- support aged care facilities, including by providing PPE and the single site workforce supplement, and integrating an aged care response centre into the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre
- provide help with contact tracing
- offer testing to those with no symptoms via GP-led respiratory clinics
- reprioritise vaccine supplies, if required
- offer the COVID-19 Disaster Payment to eligible workers
- offer access to two telehealth consultation items through the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- provide support for childcare services, including additional allowable absences, gap fee waivers and support payments, if other eligibility criteria are met.
Learn more about COVID-19 hotspots for Commonwealth support.