National Tobacco Strategy
The National Tobacco Strategy outlines our national policy framework for government and non-government organisations to work together to improve the health of all Australians by reducing smoking rates. Learn more about how we develop the strategy.
About the National Tobacco Strategy
The National Tobacco Strategy aims to improve the health of all Australians by reducing tobacco use.
The existing National Tobacco Strategy 2012–2018 remains valid until the next iteration is finalised.
Why it is important
Tobacco use impacts:
- people’s health
- the environment
- the economy.
These impacts result in inequalities across our society.
Who we work with
All Australian governments have overseen the development of the draft National Tobacco Strategy 2022-2030.
We also consulted:
- public health experts
- tobacco control experts
- the Australian community.
We did this by:
- holding targeted stakeholder workshops and roundtable discussions
- engaging with the Tackling Indigenous Smoking (TIS) Advisory Group and the National Best Practice Unit TIS Advisory Group to discuss issues and how to best approach Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander smoking
- calling for public submissions from 9 July to 17 August 2018.
View the submissions and consultation report from the first round of consultation activities on our Consultation Hub.
Second public consultation on the strategy
The draft National Tobacco Strategy 2022–2030 is being developed based on feedback received from stakeholders and consultation activities.
The second public consultation on the draft National Tobacco Strategy 2022–2030 is now open and available on our Consultation Hub. It closes on 24 March 2022.
The mid-point review of the National Tobacco Strategy 2012–2018 helped determine tobacco control priorities to include in the draft National Tobacco Strategy 2022–2030.
The review was conducted in 2016 and included:
- A data analysis report by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare – Tobacco indicators: measuring midpoint progress – reporting under the National Tobacco Strategy 2012‑2018
- A policy analysis report by Health Policy Analysis Pty Ltd – Mid-point review of the National Tobacco Strategy 2012‑2018
Please contact us if you would like more information about the development of the strategy.