COVID-19 vaccination training program
Information about free and accredited training modules for people involved in the administration of COVID-19 vaccines
In preparation for Australia’s vaccine rollout, authorised COVID-19 vaccination providers must complete COVID-19 vaccination training. This will ensure our workforce is competent in the safe management and administration of COVID-19 vaccines.
The Australian Government has partnered with the Australian College of Nursing to develop and deliver free and accredited training modules.
The training is available for all authorised COVID-19 vaccination providers. This will include:
- health professionals in hospitals
- general practices,
- state and Commonwealth vaccination clinics
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations
The training is also available for non-clinical and administration staff. They can access the non-clinical modules of the training such as handling, storage and administration.
COVID-19 vaccination training modules are categorised into 2 groups, core and additional.
Core COVID-19 modules involve training for COVID-19 vaccination more broadly. Additional COVID-19 modules are specific to individual vaccine candidates.
Core COVID-19 training modules will cover:
- COVID-19 introduction
- handling and storage
- communication and purpose
- multi-dose vial (MDV) training
- documentation and reporting
- safety and surveillance monitoring and reporting for adverse events following immunisation
Additional COVID-19 training modules include specific training for:
- Pfizer/BioNTech (module available)
- Oxford University/AstraZeneca
- future vaccines (i.e as possible new vaccines emerge)
Enrolling in the training
The training is being provided free to all authorised COVID-19 vaccination providers. These first modules are targeting health professionals in hospitals who will be administering the vaccines in the first phase of the COVID-19 vaccine national rollout.
Health professionals are advised to seek confirmation from their employer that they will be a vaccination provider before accessing the training.
To enrol in the course COVID-19 vaccination providers are required to:
- have already undertaken required training specific to their profession; and
- have the authority to administer vaccinations in their relevant state and territory.
Administrative or non-clinical staff can also enrol to access non-clinical modules.
All training content is delivered through an e-learning platform at no cost.