Exercise and physical activity
Exercise and physical activity are important for good health and wellbeing. Find out what we’re doing to help Australians become more active.
This is our new health website
While we are updating our content, some of the links will take you back to our old website.
Exercise and physical activity in Australia
Physical activity can have instant, lasting health benefits. Regular activity can improve your quality of life and make you feel more energetic.
More than half of all Australians are not active enough, so it’s important we support everyone to incorporate more physical activity into their lives.
Regardless of how young or old you are, there are physical activity and sedentary behaviour guidelines available for you. These include:
- Australian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for the Early Years (Birth to 5 years)
- Australian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Young People (5-17 years)
- Australia’s Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines for Adults (18-64 years)
- Choose Health: Be Active – A physical activity guide for older Australians
- Make Your Move – Sit Less – Be active for life! – A resource for families
What we’re doing about physical activity
We want all Australians to understand the benefits of being physically active. We do this in many ways, such as:
- develop and publish guidelines for all age groups on activity and sedentary behaviour
- provide information on how to increase your physical activity at any age
- review current research and statistics about physical activity to develop and update guidelines
- manage the Healthy Weight Guide website to help Australians achieve a healthy weight and address obesity and overweight