Learn more about pathology services under Medicare.
To provide pathology services under Medicare, you must apply to Services Australia for approval and meet the relevant criteria.
- If you own a laboratory or collection centre, you must apply to be an Approved Pathology Authority.
- If you examine collected specimens, you must apply to be an Approved Pathology Practitioner.
- Premises where approved practitioners examine collected specimens must apply to be an Accredited Pathology Laboratory.
- Premises where specimens are collected must apply to be an Approved Collection Centre.
For pathology services to be eligible for Medicare benefits, laboratories must meet accreditation standards that aim to ensure:
- quality of care
- patient safety.
Our role is to:
- develop and maintain policy
- hold regulatory responsibilities for pathology accreditation
- work closely with pathology stakeholders to support the National Pathology Accreditation Scheme, including relevant legislation.
One of the key functions of the National Pathology Accreditation Advisory Council (NPAAC) is to develop and maintain the accreditation standards for pathology laboratories in Australia. The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care supports the NPAAC and the National Pathology Accreditation Scheme.
The National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia is the current recognised accrediting agency for pathology accreditation.
Services Australia manages the administration of accredited pathology providers. This includes tracking the accreditation status of laboratories and managing arrangements with organisations that conduct accreditation assessments.
Read more about:
- accreditation and standards for pathology laboratories
- resources for the pathology standards, including COVID-19 testing
- providing and claiming pathology services under Medicare.
Improving pathology outcomes
Pathology requests can be made electronically. Learn more on the Services Australia website about:
The Quality Use of Pathology Program (QUPP) funds innovative initiatives that are aimed towards improving MBS pathology services.
We make sure that pathology services comply with the national Health Insurance Act 1973. This includes: