Get help now
In an emergency, call 000.
Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in Australia. If you need help now, call:
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
- Mental Health Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team in your state/territory
- Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636.
Find a list of services that can help you right now at Head to Health.
Mental health in our community
Mental ill-health can affect any of us at any time in our lives. Some groups are more at risk, or less likely to seek help.
We fund specialised support for vulnerable community groups, including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- people living in rural and remote areas
- young people
- LGBTQIA+ Australians
- survivors of torture and trauma
- expectant and new parents
- older Australians
- people with post-traumatic stress.
Go to Head to Health for information, advice and access to free and low-cost, phone and online mental health services and supports.
Getting help with the impacts of a crisis
Living through an emergency and its aftermath can take a major toll on our mental health.
We fund mental health services for people affected by the impacts of natural disasters and other emergencies, including:
State and territory mental health help
The Australian Government and state and territory governments fund healthdirect. This is a reliable source of accurate information and support for Australians experiencing mental ill-health, wherever they live.
All states and territories also provide mental health support. See details on the state and territory health departments’ websites.