National Medical Workforce Strategy scoping framework
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
To develop this framework, we held consultations with the states and territories, as well as key medical professional organisations and doctors.
The framework identified several priority areas that the National Medical Workforce Strategy will focus on, including:
- geographic maldistribution and inequality in healthcare access
- over- and undersupply in certain specialties
- balance of generalist versus subspecialist skills
- growing the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander doctors and having a culturally safe medical workforce
- doctor work-readiness
- service delivery and changing models of care
- coordination between medical workforce planning stakeholders
- management of the training and career pathway
- reliance on registrars to meet health service needs