What happens when my healthcare provider collects my sample
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
What happens when my healthcare provider collects my sample:
- You’ll be in a private space with your healthcare provider – usually a doctor, nurse, or healthcare worker.
- You will be asked to remove your clothes below the waist and lie on your back. You will be given a sheet to cover yourself.
- The doctor or nurse will use a device called a speculum, to make it easier to access your cervix.
- They will then take a small sample of cells from your cervix using a soft brush. It may feel uncomfortable but should not hurt. If it hurts, tell your healthcare provider straight away.
- Your healthcare provider will send the sample to a pathology laboratory to be tested.
- The pathology laboratory will test your sample and send the results to your healthcare provider.