Health Workforce Locator
Use our workforce locator map to check the geographical classification of any location in Australia. The map can tell you if a location is classified as city, rural or remote. It identifies areas that need more doctors.
About the Health Workforce Locator
The locator shows the health workforce classification and geographical information of any area.
You can see the workforce classifications:
- Distribution Priority Area (DPA)
- District of Workforce Shortage
- Modified Monash Model
- The Australian Statistical Geography Standard - Remoteness Area
- The Australian Standard Geographical Classification - Remoteness Area
- Rural, Remote and Metropolitan Areas
Using the locator
Enter an address in the form to find information on the area, including its classification and available incentives for the health workforce.
You can also go to the map and search for a location to see its classifications.
DPA status updates
Anyone can request a review of the DPA status of their GP catchment area.
DPA status granted as a result of a review will remain in place until the annual DPA update on 1 July each year.