About Resident Experience
In 2022, the Australian Government reinstated the Consumer Experience Interviews (CEIs), which were formerly undertaken and published by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (Commission).
The Department engaged a third party consortium to interview older Australian residents. During 2022, 37,443 older Australian residents living across 2,689 residential aged care homes had their say. The results have been published on My Aged Care and contributed to Star Ratings for residential aged care. Star Ratings help older Australians, families members and their representatives make more informed choices about aged care.
We have again engaged IQVIA in a consortium with Access Care Network Australia (ACNA) and Health Consult to conduct the surveys which will re-commence in February and conclude in November 2023.
The surveys will be scheduled across approximately 2,700 Commonwealth Funded residential aged care homes with around 20% of older Australian residents. Participating older Australians will include residents from vulnerable communities, diverse cultures, and those with special needs to best represent the voice of those receiving residential aged care.
Based on feedback received, we have updated the set of 14 questions. These questions are still intended to understand the lived experience of older Australians living in aged care. These questions were developed by the Commission, with the help of La Trobe University’s Lincoln Centre for Research on Ageing.
The consortium, in partnership with us, will:
- survey around 20% of older Australian residents
- ensure the representative groups of residents are culturally diverse and include residents with special needs, as defined by the Aged Care Act 1997
- protect older Australian residents’ identities in smaller organisations through larger sample size
- consult representatives of the older Australian residents in special cases, while still prioritising the resident’s voice.
Read more information about the survey process and the consortium on their website.
We take the privacy of older Australian residents very seriously.
Resident information is being protected as per the Aged Care Act 1997. Participating resident’s identities will not be revealed and their confidentiality will be protected in any reports published. The information collected from the surveys will be kept strictly confidential and securely stored.
About Resident Experience Reports
The findings from the surveys will be collated into Resident Experience Reports. This information will show an aggregated response for each question based on the survey results and will be provided to the participating aged care homes.
See the results
- February - October 2023 – Residents’ Experience Surveys completion period. IQVIA will contact residential aged care homes to schedule the visit.
- May 2022 – Recording of the CEI Information Webinar conducted by IQVIA is now available. The webinar covered the purpose of CEIs, interview methodology, resident involvement and how we will protect their privacy.
- August 2022 – Recording of the CEI webinar. The webinar was an opportunity for Providers to learn more about the Star Rating System and how the CEIs feed into them. This webinar also covered the purpose of the CEIs, the methodology and the importance of participating.