About the Early to Mid-Career Researchers initiative
The Early to Mid-Career Researchers initiative will provide $384.2 million over 10 years between 2022-23 and 2031-32. It will support EMCRs to build and progress their health and medical research careers in Australia.
There are 3 streams within this initiative:
- $84 million for early career researchers to develop and test novel solutions for challenging health issues. The incubator grants model will support early-stage small-scale research projects
- $206 million for mid-career researchers to lead large interdisciplinary teams to drive improvements in health care and/or the health system. The accelerator grants model will fund large-scale programs of work
- $95 million for EMCRs to lead co-funded projects that will accelerate the translation of research outcomes. The targeted call for research model will support collaboration and translation into practice.
Why it is important
This initiative provides dedicated funding streams to capitalise on the new ideas and emerging talent of EMCRs by enabling them to:
- address significant health challenges
- undertake novel research
- develop new ideas and approaches.
This initiative will support emerging health and medical research leaders to:
- make breakthrough discoveries
- address intractable health issues
- accelerate research translation
- develop their skills and progress their careers in Australia.
The objective of this initiative is to build and grow research capacity and capability in Australia by supporting EMCRs to continue their health and medical research careers.
Meeting our objectives
We will monitor the initiative in accordance with the principles and approach detailed in the MRFF Monitoring, evaluation and learning strategy.
Who we work with
The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) funds the initiative.
Our Health and Medical Research Office oversees this and other MRFF initiatives.
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) administers this initiative.
Apply for funding
View the MRFF grants calendar to see which grants are open, when applications close and when we expect to award funding.
Register with GrantConnect to receive notifications about future funding opportunities under this initiative.
See a list of all MRFF grant recipients.
For more information, contact us.