COVID-19 vaccinations are free for everyone in Australia. Getting vaccinated is the best way to keep you, your family, friends, and the community safe.
Benefits of vaccination
COVID-19 will be with us for many years into the future.
Getting vaccinated now has many benefits, including:
- protecting yourself against severe illness and death from COVID-19
- reduce the prevalence of symptoms associated with ‘long COVID’*
- protecting people who can’t be vaccinated due to medical conditions
- slowing the spread of the virus
- keeping hospitalisation rates at a level our health system can cope with
- reducing the need for lockdowns and school closures in the future (when enough Australians are vaccinated)
- being able to attend events and travel in the future.
*Evidence from overseas indicates that receiving a COVID-19 vaccination reduces the prevalence of symptoms associated with Long COVID.
Our vaccine supply
We have agreements in place to buy vaccines from manufacturers.
Our COVID-19 vaccine and treatment strategy outlines how we are investing in vaccines and treatments and how they are safely, fairly and rapidly delivered to Australians.
The national COVID vaccine taskforce, Operation COVID Shield, coordinates distribution and delivery of the rollout.