The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) contains Australia’s vaccination data, but only records basic demographic information. More detailed demographics are held in other Australian Government datasets. We are working with the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) to link the AIR to these other datasets as part of their Multi-Agency Data Integration Project (MADIP).
Combining these datasets will allow researchers to analyse vaccination data by population characteristics such as:
- cultural diversity
- chronic health conditions.
The results will help answer questions on immunisation in Australia and inform policy development.
Privacy and governance
The ABS administer MADIP and use a ‘privacy by design’ approach. They:
- collect and combine data
- remove all personal identifiers
- provide access only to approved researchers.
Who we work with
The ABS administer the data linkage between the AIR and MADIP and manage the MADIP dataset.
Other agencies that can use AIR-MADIP include the:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Department of Home Affairs.
Analysts from other Australian Government agencies and state and territory health departments may be given access as required.
More information about this project is available: