About the program
The program allows advanced specialist trainees to do their supervised emergency medicine training in accredited private hospital emergency departments while working towards their Fellowship of the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine. The program enables them to access Medicare benefits for services they provide during this training.
Placements are for 12 months, and one or more emergency doctors must supervise participating trainees at all times.
This is an approved program under section 3GA of the Health Insurance Act 1973, and doctors on this program satisfy section 19AA of the Act.
Why it is important
The program helps increase the number of emergency medicine specialists in Australia, to ensure patients can access care when they need it.
Who we work with
We administer the program, and the following private hospital emergency departments participate in it:
- Brisbane Northside Hospital
- Cabrini Hospital
- Epworth Hospital Richmond and Geelong
- Greenslopes Private Hospital
- Holmesglen Private Hospital
- John Flynn Private Hospital
- Knox Private Hospital
- Noosa Hospital
- Northpark Private Hospital
- Pindara Private Hospital
- St Andrews War Memorial Hospital
- St John of God Hospital – Ballarat, Geelong, and Murdoch
- Sydney Adventist Hospital
- St Vincent’s Private Hospital Toowoomba.
To participate on the program, you must:
- hold temporary or permanent residency in Australia
- have a minimum of 3 years postgraduate experience, including in emergency medicine, paediatrics, and medicine and surgery
- hold membership of a medical defence organisation approved by the private hospital
- be a non-vocationally recognised doctor who is an advanced trainee with the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine and actively working towards fellowship with the college
- hold limited, provisional, or general medical registration with the Medical Board of Australia.
You can apply any time by:
- discussing work opportunities with your chosen APED service provider
- complete an application form – email us to request a form
- submit your application to your chosen APED service provider who will submit it to us
You should apply for a Medicare Provider Number through Services Australia once you have received your placement from us.
For service providers
Applications for a private emergency department to participate in the program should include:
- details about how you meet the eligibility requirements outlined in section 4.2 of the program guidelines
- the total number of eligible doctors (full-time equivalent) you will need over the next 12 months
- a statement from the medical director that participants will be supervised in line with section 4.3 of the program guidelines.