From 11:59pm on Sunday 2 August everyone in the state of Victoria must wear a face covering whenever they leave home unless an exemption applies. This is because of the higher rates of community transmission of coronavirus there. See the Victorian government’s advice on masks.
People in NSW should consider wearing a face mask in situations where physical distancing is not possible.
Wearing a mask can help protect you and those around you if you are in an area with community transmission, and physical distancing is not possible, like on public transport.
While a mask can be used as an extra precaution, you must continue to:
- stay at home if unwell
- maintain physical distance (more than 1.5m) from other people, when out
- avoid large gatherings and crowded indoor spaces
- practise hand and respiratory hygiene
Read more advice on wearing masks.
Watch our videos:
- Alison McMillan explains how to wear a face mask
- Dr Nick Coatworth's message on masks