The Australian Government Department of Health has engaged the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care to lead a review and update of the following:
- Guiding principles for medication management in residential aged care facilities (October 2012, Australian Government Department of Health)
- Guiding principles for medication management in the community and reference guide (June 2006, [former] Australian Pharmaceutical Advisory Council)
These national quality use of medicines publications are relevant to the National Medicines Policy.
These guiding principles promote the safe, quality use of medicines and medication management in residential aged care facilities and in the community. This update will consider best-practice evidence, standards and advice from experts, providers, and users of medicines in the health and aged care sectors.
The commission will run a consultation process with a broad range of stakeholders, including:
- the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission
- the Australian Digital Health Agency
- state and territory health departments
- private hospitals
- professional bodies
- the aged care sector.
More information is available on the Commission’s website.