Cosmetic surgery has risks and it’s important to be informed.
Before you decide on cosmetic surgery, you should:
- choose a qualified medical practitioner who is skilled and experienced in performing your surgery
- check that your surgery will take place in a licensed facility
- understand the risks and possible complications from your surgery
- ask for and understand the plan for your recovery and aftercare
- know what to do if something goes wrong.
Use our information and resources to help you make the safer choice, including a patient safety checklist and a list of questions to ask before your cosmetic surgery.
Learn more about cosmetic surgery in Australia and how to make an informed decision about your procedure.
If you have concerns about the outcome of your surgery or quality of care, you can contact the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) Cosmetic Surgery Hotline on 1300 361 041.