Latest recommendation updates
ATAGI have not published any recommendations since 25 August 2022. Recent meeting deliberations can be found on the ATAGI page.
Recent ATAGI considerations
On Wednesday 31 August 2022, ATAGI met to consider the latest developments relating to COVID-19 immunisation. As of 29 August, over 63 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in Australia.
Consideration of variant vaccines
On 29 August 2022 the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) granted provisional approval for the Moderna bivalent COVID-19 vaccine, Spikevax Bivalent Zero/Omicron.
Following this announcement, ATAGI have continued to discuss the role of this new bivalent COVID-19 vaccine in Australia’s COVID-19 vaccination program and are currently finalising advice to the Minister for Health and Aged Care on the use of this vaccine.
ATAGI continue to emphasise the importance of receiving the COVID-19 vaccinations recommended for your age or individual health needs.
Ongoing review of COVID-19 vaccine safety
The TGA Fortnightly Report provides a detailed breakdown of adverse events following immunisation, including Australian rates of myocarditis and pericarditis.
Resources and recent statements
More information can be found in the following resources:
- 25 August 2022: 25 August 2022: Novavax vaccine for adolescents aged 12–17 years
- 7 July 2022: ATAGI updated recommendations for a winter dose of COVID-19 vaccine
- 9 June 2022 – on the use of a first booster dose in adolescents aged 12–15 years
- 25 May 2022 – expanded ATAGI recommendations on winter COVID-19 booster doses for people at increased risk of severe COVID-19
- 8 April 2022 – on use of booster doses in adolescents aged 12–15 years