Frontier Health and Medical Research
The Australian Government is establishing a program to support researchers to push the boundaries to develop new health and medical breakthroughs.
What we’re funding
$240 million over 5 years to establish a landmark program for researchers and collaborators for ‘out of the box’ ideas and discoveries.
The purpose of this research funding is to:
- unlock ground-breaking research which promises new treatments and technologies to improve health and open new markets for industry growth
- support researchers to push the boundaries to develop tomorrow’s health and medical breakthroughs
- improve patient outcomes
- create new economic and job opportunities.
The program will operate under a 2 stage process:
- Stage 1 will be competitive, with researchers selling their idea and its merit. Successful applicants will have approximately 1 year and $1 million to advance their idea, ready to put forward for potential stage 2 investment.
- Stage 2 will support the best applicants to realise a new frontier in health and medical research with up to 5 years of funding — ranging from $10 million to $20 million per year.
An expert international panel will oversee the program.
Why it’s important
- Many great Australian health and medical research ideas get lost due to limited resources.
- This measure is essential for nurturing ideas and creating the next generation industries that will drive healthcare improvements, jobs and growth.
How to apply
Further updates on the program and how to apply will be provided throughout 2018. You may wish to register on GrantConnect to ensure you are alerted to all grant opportunities.