About Australia's COVID-19 vaccine rollout
Learn about Australia’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout and the benefits of vaccination.
COVID-19 vaccinations are free for everyone in Australia. Getting vaccinated is the best way to keep you, your family, friends, and the community safe.
How we’re rolling out the vaccine
Everyone aged 12 years and over can book an appointment to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Vaccines are available at:
- state and territory operated clinics
- general practices
- Commonwealth vaccination clinics
- community pharmacies
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services
- other arrangements, such as doctors visiting an aged care or disability residential service, government-operated pop up clinics, or teams organised by disability service providers
- some workplaces.
Benefits of vaccination
COVID-19 will be with us for many years into the future.
Getting vaccinated now has many benefits, including:
- protecting yourself against severe illness and death from COVID-19
- preventing complications such as ‘long COVID’
- protecting people who can’t be vaccinated due to medical conditions
- protecting children while research continues to test the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in people under the age of 12
- slowing the spread of the virus
- keeping hospitalisation rates at a level our health system can cope with
- reducing the need for lockdowns in the future, when enough Australians are vaccinated
- being able to attend events and travel in the future.
Our vaccine supply
We have agreements in place to buy vaccines from manufacturers.
We can access Australian-made AstraZeneca vaccines. There is plenty of AstraZeneca available across Australia.
Pfizer and Moderna are manufactured overseas. There is increasing supply of these vaccines in Australia.
Our COVID-19 vaccine and treatment strategy outlines how we are investing in vaccines and treatments and how they will be safely, fairly and rapidly delivered to Australians.
The national COVID vaccine taskforce, Operation COVID Shield, coordinates distribution and delivery of the rollout.