Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS)
The Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) provides a payment to help with some of the costs of your continence products.
What is CAPS?
CAPS is an Australian Government program. It provides a payment to eligible people, to help with some of the costs of buying continence products.
Why is CAPS important?
CAPS is important because more than 4.8 million Australians have a bladder or bowel problem. CAPS help you reduce the costs of buying continence products from a supplier of your choice.
Who is eligible?
You need to meet all the eligibility requirements to get CAPS. The basic requirements are that you:
- have permanent and severe incontinence
- have an eligible neurological condition or eligible other condition that is the cause of your permanent and severe incontinence
- be 5 years or older
- be an Australian citizen
You may not be able to get CAPS if you don’t meet eligibility.
How to apply for CAPS
There are 4 steps in applying for CAPS:
- Get ready to apply – this includes getting a copy of the application form and the application form guidelines.
- Get your doctor or health professional to complete their part of the form.
- Submit your application.
- Wait for the result.
There are a few ways to get a CAPS application form. You can:
- download an application form
- request a paper copy of the application form by contacting National Mailing & Marketing
- call the Continence Helpline, Medicare,or the CAPS team for a copy
You may need to provide extra documents. When you fill in the form it will tell you what these are.
The CAPS payment rate for 2019–20 is $609.70. The payment may increase or decrease a little every year following the Government’s budget process.
Your CAPS payment is paid into your choice of Australian bank account. The account can belong to:
- the custodial parent of a child getting CAPS
- your legal or authorised nominee
CAPS payments aren’t included in your income tax calculations.
Managing your payment
Contact Medicare or the CAPS Team if your circumstances change. If you don’t tell them about the changes, you may not get your payment. It could also mean you get overpaid and have to pay the money back.
You can also nominate someone to act on your behalf for anything related to CAPS.
Buying continence products
You can buy any continence products you need with CAPS. Ask your health professional about what types of products will best suit your needs.
The Continence Foundation of Australia has a list of products that may help you to choose the best product for you.
You can buy continence aids products:
- at supermarkets or pharmacies
- online or by phone
Your local health service can also stock continence products for you.
Who is involved in CAPS?
Health is responsible for CAPS policy. We also manage communications about CAPS. We work with Medicare on eligibility and payment issues and respond to policy enquiries.
CAPS is an ongoing program funded by the Australian Government.