We established the Nursing and Midwifery Strategic Reference Group (NMSRG) to allow nursing and midwifery experts to give advice and comment on:
- relevant nursing and midwifery policy and strategy issues
- education and workforce planning
- nursing and midwifery measures we are responsible for.
In 2015, the committee moved its education and workforce objectives to the National Nursing and Midwifery Education Advisory Group (NNMEAN). This allows the NMSRG to focus on providing information to Government about strategic policy initiatives and issues that affect nursing and midwifery. The NMSRG and the NNMEAN give advice on:
- education of nurses and midwives to meet the health needs of the Australian community
- factors effecting nurses and midwives entering the workforce
- how entry and development pathways shape future careers
- national supply and demand workforce reports
- health workforce reports to inform policy advice and strategy
- specific requests by health ministers.
Since 2020, the NMSRG has provided critical, timely strategic advice to the Australian Government about the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccination rollout.
The following organisations nominate members to participate in the NMSRG:
- Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer, Department of Health - Chair
- Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA)
- Australian and New Zealand Council of Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officers
- Australian College of Mental Health Nurses
- Australian College of Midwives
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners
- Australian College of Nursing
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation
- Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association
- Australian Private Hospitals Association
- Catholic Health Australia
- Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives
- Consumers Health Forum
- Council of Deans of Nursing and Midwifery (Australia and New Zealand)
- Defence Force Nursing
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Vocational Education Sector – Nursing
- National Enrolled Nursing Advisory Council.
The NMSRG meets a minimum of 4 times per year, either face-to-face or by videoconference. NMSRG will post any public communiques here.
The Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer Division provide the secretariat for the NMSRG.