Advisory Committee for the COVID-19 Response for People with Disability
The Advisory Committee for the COVID-19 Response for People with Disability provides advice to the Chief Medical Officer about the needs of people with disability during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The committee provides expert advice on the health care needs of people with disability, their families and the disability service sector. This includes access to COVID-19 screening, prevention and health care.
This advice helped to develop the Management and Operational Plan for COVID-19 for People with Disability. The committee is overseeing the plan’s implementation.
The Australian Health Sector Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus guides the Australian health sector response. This management and operational plan focuses on people with disability. An Easy Read version is also available.
The committee includes experts from various backgrounds including:
- people with lived experience
- disability organisations
- the disability service sector
- the research sector
- the health care sector, including medical practitioners, allied health professionals and nursing
- Australian Government officials
- state and territory government officials
- Allied Health Professions Australia
- Australian Association of Developmental Disability Medicine
- Australian Government Department of Social Services
- Australian Human Rights Commission
- Council for Intellectual Disability
- Department of Developmental Disability Psychiatry, University of New South Wales
- First Peoples Disability Network
- Get Skilled Access
- Inclusion Australia
- Melbourne Disability Institute, University of Melbourne
- National Disability Insurance Agency
- NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
- Office for Disability ACT
- People with Disability Australia
- people with lived experiences of being a carer
- Summer Foundation
The group meets regularly to discuss COVID-19 issues relevant to people with disability. The group has also participated in several Roundtable discussions with a broader range of stakeholders across the disability sector.
Read the committee’s communiques.
Related committees or groups
The committee reports to the Chief Medical Officer, and regularly informs the:
- Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC)
- Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA)
Find out more
Advisory Committee for the COVID-19 Response for People with Disability secretariat
Contact the secretariat if you have any questions about the committee or the plan.